Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 18:16:04 -0400
Jeffrey Boulier <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Having sufficiently muddied the waters, here's what I think is happening:
>
>When AOL's mail servers receive a mail message, they check to see if the
>originator is a valid Internet address. This is by way of an attempt to
>block forged "spam" mail targeting AOL users.

This is correct. When I post to newsgroups I no longer use a valid domain
name. Since I usually like to cc the posted I would sent it out twice, with
a valid return address on the e-mail. Then I got lazy and just cc'd an
AOLer. AOL bounced it back to my postmaster, with:

<<< 550 <[log in to unmask]>... Sender domain not found in DNS (see RFC
1123, sections 5.2.2 and 5.2.18).

Don.