Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:48:24 -0500
Pete's info is excellent, but in case it makes things more clear, I'll try
to say the same thing in different words :-)

While there are perverse cases, most delivery problems can be solved.  In
this case, no one is complaining about missing list messages, but we apparently
have one of our distributions bouncing back to Listserv.

Oddly, Listserv thinks the bounce came from someone not subscribed!

There can be several reasons for this, including

   - Listserv or a list owner has recently removed the subscription (of the
   address Listserv reports in the Daily Summary).  I have "Changelog=" set on
   for all my lists so it is a simple matter of looking at the "Changelog"
   audit trail to see if the mail address had recent activity such as
unsubscribe.
   For this case, the subscription is now gone ... we're not sending new posts
   to the address, but we may still be getting bounces from older post
   distributions for several days and can simply ignore them.
   - One of your subscribers forwards their mail to a second e-mail
   address.  Then, if all is working, the distribution to the subscribed
   address goes to the mail system of the subscriber and is then automatically
   forwarded or redirected to the "second e-mail address".  As list owner, you
   have no idea this is happening, as it happens to their mail after Listserv
   distributes your list post.

So, continuing with the 2nd scenario above (the subscriber forwards their
e-mail elsewhere) ...

If problems happen at the subscriber-address mail system, Listserv
generally handles it perfectly and you see the subscriber in the Daily
Summary.  If problems occur at the "second e-mail address" site, we have
the problem you have just seen ... the bounce comes from a
non-subscriber.   How do we find the subscriber?

Assuming it is important enough to spend your time on this puzzle, there
are ways to solve it.  Pete described one:  instead of instructing Listserv
to handle the bounces, instruct Listserv (with the "Auto-Delete=" list
configuration statement) to forward future bounces to the "Errors-To
="people (your
e-mail address, for instance).  Now, on the next bounce message, instead of
getting a summary from Listserv, you have the exact and full bounce
messageto study.

Look carefully at the bounce message.  There may be clues in it as to which
list distribution message it is.  If it's an old message, just ignore it.  If
you are lucky, the bounce message contains the distributed message and your
list has placed the subscribers name/address in the message and your puzzle
is solved. (Note: this requires "Mail-Merge= Y" and something like a "bottom
banner" that lists the subscriber ... common in commercial e-mail lists,
but not so common otherwise because such a setup is not available for your
list or Listserv site (it is less efficient than Listserv distributing exactly
the same message to all subscribers)).

If the visible text of the bounce message doesn't reveal the subscriber, your
next action is to look at the bounce message "mail header lines".  Your
e-mail reading facility will have a way to display these mail header lines,
but each mail reading facility seems to have it's own method.  For example,
Gmail has an entry in the pull down menu that's part of the "Reply"
button.  Pull down the menu and select "Show original".  Another example, the
Thunderbird e-mail program has an "other actions" pull down menu;
select the"view source" entry to see
these mail header lines.

In any case, once you are viewing the mail header lines, you will see much