Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:38:53 +1000

> Hi I'm also new to the list, but I have a question about
> Listserv.  I currently have a web subscription form that I
> have created that will allow a user to enter their email and
> it will subscribe them.   It will force their entered email
> to lowercase.  BUT when they respond, I've noticed Exchange
> will send out email in the format  [log in to unmask] and
> Listserv will be case sensitive and sent the response to both
> that address and the lowercase address.   Then the user gets
> two messages.

I see this quite a bit...and LISTSERV doesn't like it either.  The problem
can also cause difficulties for the user when they try to send a command via
email.  If [log in to unmask] tries to issue a command for his subscription
[log in to unmask] LISTSERV won't allow it because they don't match.

It's best to not alter the portion of the address to the *left* of the '@'
symbol at all (anything to the *right* of the '@' is case-insensitive so
that's not a problem).  If you use any sort of web form that requires a user
to manually enter their email address this sort of thing may creep in.  The
absolute best way to get a subscribed address correct is to have the user
send it in via email and let LISTSERV parse the address itself.  Maybe try a
mailto: hyperlink that will launch a user's default client.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.