"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Oct 1995 06:42:43 -0700
I run several mailing lists that have a number of co-owners.  One way we
now communicate is using the // eoj command.  This is a listserv command
that tells listserv that the message area has no more listserv commands;
the rest of the message is ignored.  So, you can put comments in the
message after the // eoj line for other humans.  So if I am teaching a
newer list owner how to use a certain command, I can send the command to
listserv, copy the other owner, and use the // eoj command in order to
put descriptive comments in the same message.  I don't have to send a
separate message for this.  It saves me a little time.

I also use it so I don't have to erase my signature, or other text that
just happens to be in the message area; this is quicker.  I know the // eoj
looks cumbersome, and it is; on other command type of languages you sometimes
see an equivalent command called 'end' for example.  We ought to have
that.  But // eoj works.  For example, here is a message I might send to
delete a user, and then explain to my co-owners why one should also use
the 'give' command:

----- Message Text -----
del mylist user@domain
give mylist farewell to user@domain
// eoj

Guys,

See the 'give' command above after the delete?  You have to do that, if
you want the user to get your farewell message when you do the delete.
Otherwise they don't get it!  If they had unsubscribed, *that* is when the
farewell is sent out automatically.   Yeah, I know it seems inconsistent.

Lsoft likes it this way, as they 'presume' that the user won't ask you to
delete them unless they really really want to just leave the list; this is
flawed reasoning that completely ignores the users that just can't figure
this stuff out (users who probably don't know about the *digest* option
either - which our farewell message explains to them - and as we know, has
brought back many a user).  That is how Lsoft wants it, so we have to
manually do the 'give' command each time we delete someone.  And if the
user was so experienced, they could just unsub themselves.  So the
farewell is important, it seems to me, in this case.