Glenn Alperin <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 May 1998 16:28:06 -0500
>I agree with you, especially with point #5
>
>>5) People should always double check where their mail is going;
>those who
>>don't do so at their own peril
>
>it sounds to me like your disgruntled subscriber made one too many
>mistake and wants to blame someone else  - 'cause of COURSE it wasn't
>his fault.   He's not an idiot, your list is screwy.
>
>We had our reply to sender for a short while, and got a lot of
>complaints from subscribers because their messages weren't showing up
>on the list....they thought that since the message came from the list,
>they were automatically replying back to the list.   To me, that's the
>"intuitive" view.
>
>Just my 0.02
>
>sheila

Just to add some more screwyness to the situation, many e-mail programs
actually ignore any Reply-To headser which might be placed on messages
(All-In-1, my current and only available option for e-mail from my OpenVMS
account here at school is quite notorious for ignoring reply-to headers,
and will send such messages back to the sender every single time unless I
manually cvhange that for each message.)

One of the reasons that my list is set to send e-mail back to the list is
because I actually had a few people, before my list was in list form and
was just a bunch of us e-mailing each other, who seemed to have e-mail
programs incapable of the "Reply to All" functionality.  (Fortunately, I
don't have this problem.)

What it boils down to in the end, really, is how many people you are
willing to tick off by making a choice of one or the other, either to list
or to sender.  For my style, to sender causes lots of problems with
continuity in subject matter, and as a result, lots of people will have
missed lots of the conversation.  People just need to be more careful and,
before hitting that send button of theirs, check and verify they are
sending it off to the right place.

Glenn