"Michael S. Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 13:24:32 -0700
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Wayne T. Smith wrote:
> I doubt that providing a "pending" feature list enhances their success
> at all.  Just 1 opinion.

But does it *harm* their success?

A vendor unresponsive to suggestions or bug reports is one that I have
less confidence in and will do less business with.  I am more likely to
pay for a shareware product, for example, sold by people who stand by
their products enough to want to receive bug reports and feature
suggestions, than one that doesn't.  This is because I am more inclined to
believe that it is worthwhile investing in a product that the company will
improve over time to adapt itself more to my requirements.  Otherwise, I
will be more likely to go to a competitor who is more likely to do offer
me the functionality that I desire.

It smacks of dishonesty if a company provides a forum for feedback but
does not acknowledge it.  If it is the policy of a company to not respond
or to not guarantee a response, then I would like to see that policy
spelled out somewhere in plain sight.  To do otherwise gives me less faith
in the company's attention to its customers.

From the point of view of the customer, if a company offers a channel for
feedback but does not respond to it, what is the difference between that
and not listening to customers at all?  Very little, IMHO.