Anthea Tillyer <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 21:20:51 EDT
I think that I can answer the question of who is to say what is garbage
and what is not!

First, when the majority of the posts are personal attacks, that's garbage.
Second, when many posts are simply repeated answers to previous inane
questions, that's garbage.
Third, when the questions have absolutely NOTHING whatsoever to do with
the stated topic (such as several requests for hotel recommendations),
that's garbage.

As Eric has frequently said, the list owner shapes his or her list in the
fashion that he or she wants and believes best.  My own case is more
complicated in that I have a large, multi-year federal grant for the list,
and the grant is to support a certain type of list.  I very much doubt that
we would get refunded if the list continued to decline in its level of
scholarship as it is doing now.  Indeed, I (as a tax payer) would be
OUTRAGED if I saw the level of absolute nonsense and meanness that my $$$
was being used for on this list these days.

In short, I can answer ERic Crump's question about who is to judge by saying
that *I* am the judge, as are all other owners.  Just because one list thrives
on anarchy doesn't mean that they all do.  Moreoever, I think that 3 years
seems to be a turning point in lists....they either mature, change direction,
or die.  I can't change direction because of my funding and the list isn't
maturing.  So it's dying.

Peace,
Anthea Tillyer