Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 28 May 1994 23:04:32 EST
>   True, subscribing to a list can be a minor hassle.
>
>Worse is getting *off* the list.  *That*'s the hassle.

Bull!  It's just as easy to get off as it is to get on.  The problem is
that people don't pay attention to the instructions they get when they
first subscribe.  Then when they want off, they send a message to the
list, which, of course, loses.  J. Random User also doesn't know that
when his node id changes, while he will still get mail from the list,
he can't do anything about his subscription because LISTSERV doesn't
recognize him.  (Which is the fault of his node administrator for not
telling him what to do about it.)

I subscribe (for example) to the PAGEMAKR list on INDYCMS.  There are
three co-owners on that list who have just about killed themselves explaining
to users that they can't unsub or set options by sending commands to the list.
Yet about every 10th message to the list is a "please unsubscribe me"
message.  (or at least it seems like it)

Unfortunately, with the entry level of so many new users being rock bottom--
thanks to the ever-expanding Information StuporHighway--this is something
listowners are going to have to address constantly.

Sorry about the tirade, but I get so TIRED of people talking about how
hard it is to use LISTSERV.  It ain't LISTSERV--it's the broken mailers
and non-standard interfaces and mis-configured mail software that lie
between the users and LISTSERV that cause half the problem, and uneducated
users that cause the other half.

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  ------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L@INDYCMS and other lists
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.