Mentor Cana <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 31 Oct 1995 15:07:02 -0500
On Tue, 31 Oct 1995, Melvin Klassen wrote:
> >> Cure the first problem, and the second should go away.
> >>
> >  Right after I sent the help! message to this list, I figured out that
> >  the loop was caused by a bounced message from a domain *.nl
> >  I had two subscribers from that domain. So I removed ( I could have set
> >  the nomail as well) them immediately from both lists. The problem went away,
> >  however I'm expecting more error messages (those that still haven't
> >  reached me).
> >  I could have also used the REVIEW option for the both subscribers and that
> >  would have solved the problem.
>
> Hmmm.  Since the list is 'SEND=EDITOR', rather than 'SEND=PRIVATE'
> or 'SEND=PUBLIC', it's possible that your suggestion would *NOT* have worked.
> After all, LISTSERV treated the "bounced" messages as being "authorized"
> by the editor.

  The option REVIEW seems to be more "powerfull". You can set an Editor
  (wich is defined via the Editor= keyword) with the options REVIEW, and
  his/her messages with be send to the moderator. I tested this and it
  worked.

> >  Any other way to fix this kind of problem?
>
> No.  The user seems to have deliberately initiated the "loop".
> If there were multiple "original" postings to ALBANEWS which
> were being "bounced" and "looped", then it's possible that LISTSERV's
> anti-loop detection could have been tricked into failing to recognize the
> loop.

  Any one else thinks it might have been deliberate?! :(

> >p.s. Seems that entire domain in .nl (a particular subdomain) was AAAAffected.
> >     Some other lists got the same problem.
>
> While that may be true, I don't think that the '.NL' domain, as such,
> was the problem.  Perhaps, the problem affected *ALL* users on a specific
> computer, or, perhaps, the same user was subscribed to many lists.

  What I meant here was a particular subdomain within the .nl
  here is is actually:

        recipients of list ALBANIAN <[log in to unmask]>); Tue, 31
          Oct 1995 04:31:09 +0100

   The pop.stud.let.ruu.nl domain was the problematic one.

sincerely,
mentor