Les Moskowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:05:47 -0500
I'm trying to change the subscription option on my mailing list from
"open" to "confirm by list owner".  The intent is to have the listserv
send a questionaire to a prospective subscriber and for me to add the
person manually when I receive the completed questionaire.

After making the appropriate changes in the list header and in the
mailtpl file, I tried subscribing using a variety of mail programs.

The subscription process worked exactly as expected using Pine and
using Pegasus Mail for Windows.  However, when I subscribed using
Netscape (both version 1.22 for windows and 3.01 for windows 95), here's
what happened:

a.  Instead of getting the questionaire, I got a "cookie message", giving
    me a confirmation code and telling me to send a second "ok" message.
b.  Sending just the "ok" resulted in the following response:

> > ok
> Unfortunately, the confirmation code could not be extracted from the headers
> generated by your mail program. You  will have to retype this code manually,
> as explained in the confirmation request you were sent. If you lost it, just
> issue the command again to get a new code.

c.  Sending the "ok" along with the confirmation code produced the
questionaire which I should have received in the first place.

This means that a person using Netscape who wishes to subscribe to my list
must send a total of 4 messages.  It makes the subscription process
unworkable.

Two questions:
      (a)  Is there something I should have done to avoid this problem?
      (b)  Is this bug known to the listserv developers (I'm using
           version 1.8c under windows NT).  Can it be corrected?  Netscape
           is such a widespread program that any mailing list
           configuration must work under Netscape.

                                                  Les