Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 3 Sep 2020 18:17:08 +0000
No, you’re not misunderstanding – that’s exactly what the List Activity Reports are for, but the list-level change-logs collect more data than just adds and deletes – more importantly, they contain records for each posting to the list (the POST event).  (It’s probably more obvious when you look at a History report as opposed to a Statistics report, which shows individual records from the change-log rather than just summary totals for each event you’ve configured the report to display.)

Now, that said:  LISTSERV doesn’t enable change-logs by default because they can become quite large if you have very active lists with lots of subscribers.  With the change-logs enabled, you can get statistical data in the List Activity Report such as

Event

Count

POST

164

SIGNOFF

12

SUBSCRIBE

3

DELETE

1

which is actual data from one of my lists over the last six months, and sounds like the sort of thing your list owner wants.  But without the change-logs, you simply don’t have this data available and there is nothing available to create a report.

Bottom line, add “Change-Log= Yes” to the list header, wait a week for some data to build up, and then going forward she’ll be able to construct a report for the previous week using the reporting interface.  Unfortunately, data prior to enabling change-logging is lost to the reporting interface, so she’ll have to be content with “going forward”.

You can also set the change-logs to rotate on a regular basis (Yearly/Monthly/Weekly – if the documentation still says “Daily”, that’s incorrect, that option doesn’t exist) so they don’t get too huge, but if you do that, you need to be aware that LISTSERV will use only the latest change-log to create reports.  For example, we have lots of folks who rotate their change-logs annually and suddenly can’t generate December reports in January – because last year’s log has been rotated out and a fresh one started.  Luckily, the fix for that is just to concatenate the previous period’s log and the current log under the current log’s name, so LISTSERV can see both sets of events again.

I would personally question the need to rotate change-logs unless they become so huge as to become unmanageable, or threaten to fill up the disk, but the list I referred to up above has change-logs going back to 31 Jan 2004, and they total just over 10MB on disk.  The list has 1200 subscribers but it used to have over three times that many, and lots of posts daily, and 16 years and 7 months of change-logs is only 10MB?  That’s not too bad 😊  But of course, your mileage (and available disk space) may vary.

Nathan