Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 05:11:56 GMT
On Sun, 12 Jan 1997 17:39:55 GMT, Roger Pfister
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>My list is sub   by owner  the instructions I have been handing out say
>
>to join send to     [log in to unmask]
>  subscribe  [log in to unmask]  first-name  surname
>
>ALSO send to
>with some info proving you are a member of our group (its a social
>club)

Don't work harder than you have to.  There is no need for users to send 2
separate messages.  Re-read 9.4.3 (Tips for using templates) in the Owner
Manual and see the below note:

To: Multiple recipients of list EASE-HOME
Subject: Re: questionnaire
From: Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 13:08:52 EDT

I have one list that I run this way.  Basically, you would need to create
a listname.MAILTPL for your list with at least the following templates,
set up something like this:

%----------------------------cut here-------------------------------%

>>> SUB_OWNER &LISTNAME: &WHOM requested to join
.TO &WHOM
A copy of the &LISTNAME membership questionnaire has been sent
to you.  Please read it carefully and follow the instructions
to complete it and return it to the list owners.

>>> ADDREQ1 &LISTNAME Membership Survey
.RE OWNERS
.* above forces Reply-To: address to be &LISTNAME-Request@&MYHOST
.TO &WHOM
.* above sends this all back to the new user
.* below is the questionnaire text
.CE &LISTNAME Membership Survey
NOTE:  Please make sure when you send this back that it goes to
the address &LISTNAME-Request@&MYHOST.  Thanks.

This is a standard questionnaire required for all prospective
subscribers to &LISTNAME. Blah blah blah...

%----------------------------cut here-------------------------------%

Note that you cannot format the SUB_OWNER template; it all comes out
as one long paragraph without formatting no matter what you do, because
it is a "linear" template.  But you should modify it from the default
to let people know that they will receive a questionnaire to be filled
out and returned.

The questionnaire itself goes in ADDREQ1 and you can use all of the
template formatting commands in it.

For more information on templates, see chapter 9 of the list owner's
manual, particularly 9.4.3.

Nathan

   (Owner is not bothered by user until this point)
 Owner determines if answers are correct:
   If correct, Owner FWDs template with ADD command back to LISTSERV
   If not correct, Owner can followup as necessary

This is much easier.  There are no dual msgs to 'synchronize', etc.  Any
owner can act on the request to Subscribe (if the new user answered
correctly).  You have full control over the Subscribe message content via
the listname.MAILTPL file.

Another case of LISTSERV taking admin overhead off the shoulders of the
weary and busy List Owner!
[all List Owners should now make the Lsoft sign and bow towards Sweden]
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]