Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:39:05 -0400
On 6/21/2007 15:01, Nate Eckstine wrote:
> Why is posting in HTML discouraged? We have a lot of announcement lists
> that post exclusively in HTML
>
> In a discussion list I could see where it would be difficult if people
> were posting bad html to a list.

There are some people in this world who need their incoming email to be
text-only, including, but not limited to:

* Individuals with vision problems who use text-to-voice software to read
   their email to them.

* Individuals who have limited network connectivity and/or who must pay,
   often dearly, for every byte they send and receive.

And there are a few who want their incoming email to be text-only, including,
but not limited to:

* Individuals who believe that HTML in email poses a security threat.

* Individuals who believe that HTML in email is an abomination.

Say what you will about the members of the last two groups, but have at
least a modicum of consideration for the individuals in the first two
groups.

If you are absolutely certain that HTML email is acceptable to each and
every recipient of your message, then go ahead and add all the busy
backgrounds, cutesy colors, and fancy fonts that your heart desires.

If you are not absolutely certain that HTML email is acceptable to each
and every recipient, then perhaps it might be a good idea to send the
message as plain text. If you simply cannot bring yourself to send plain
text, send both plain text and HTML. Those who are offended by your
decision will either complain or filter future messages from you.

Lest you get the impression that I am a rabid anti-HTML-email bigot,
I will point out that I am the editor/publisher of a monthly email
newsletter which is sent as both plain text and HTML.

There are times when HTML email is appropriate; there are times when it
is not appropriate. Unfortunately, those whose email clients are configured
to send HTML email by default seldom, if ever, ask themselves whether it is
an appropriate format for every message.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team