Karen Strauss <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:35:01 -0400
Hi. I apologize in advance for making this so long and thanks in advance
for any help.

I've been having a very frustrating time with a troll on one of my lists.
My list is set up so that only subscribers can post and so that all new
subscribers are automatically put on review. It is a list for chronically
ill people, so I usually cut members some attitude slack.

Well this woman joined the list and didn't like the policy of having new
subscribers on review. That she didn't like it didn't bother me in the
slightest, but then she began sending me harassing private emails demanding
that I post her messages immediately. For every message that went into the
review queue, she immediately sent me three or four private messages, each
one nastier than the last. I've had many many email conversations with her
about the list rules to no avail. She's bypassed the review process by
convincing other list members to post messages for her, spent considerable
energy trying to stir up controversy about First Amendment issues on the
list, posts messages about the miracle cure she had 14 years ago and has
misrepresented herself in private mail to other list members as a trained
therapist. So I deleted her from the list using the QUIET parameter. She
almost immediately resubscribed, so I filtered her and am seriously
considering serving her off. She's been told by email that she isn't
welcome on the list.

But I have just given this information as background and serving her off
under her own email address is not the big problem here. For the past week
she has been subscribing to the list under almost every free email account
she can create from places like hotmail.com and yahoo.com and then trying
to post. I have caught these posts in the review queue because hotmail.com
and others include the originating IP number in the mail headers and I
tracerouted this back to her ISP.

This is getting old fast and I don't really have the time to spend on this
problem. I am not sure that I want to go to her ISP because then she will
just move to a different ISP and I won't be able to monitor her activity as
easily. So, does anybody have any suggestions on how I can deal with this
problem? I don't want to filter hotmail.com, yahoo.com or other such
addresses because I do have some very legitimate subscribers who use these
services.

Karen Strauss

Karen Strauss           The Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Network
Executive Director      http://www.rsdnet.org

RSDNet-L List           [log in to unmask]