"Kenny, Melissa S" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 May 2005 14:20:39 -0400
Scott,

Your owner sent the exact same message to many lists at once.  Listserv
interprets this as spam, and interpreted your owner as a spammer.  It's
possible that the virus sent the messages, or maybe she was doing this
on purpose.  Either way, unless you have the latest version of Listserv,
14.3, there's nothing you can do but wait for 48 hours for her
banishment to clear.  The work-around is to have her use an alias to
send the message; of course, you may have to add this alias as an owner
or editor if needed.

Melissa Kenny

IIS Administrator
Harvard Medical School IT

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Scott Elder
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 2:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Error message: The LISTSERV network has determined that you
have been posting anabnormallyhigh amount of identical messages

A list owner on our system received the message below.    She cannot
post
messages to Listserv.  The user had not been "served out". I suspect
that her system is infected with a virus, but once that is fixed, I need
to find out how to allow her to post again.  Can someone please help me
with that?

Thanks,
Scott Elder

have...")

The LISTSERV network has determined that you have been posting an
abnormally
high amount  of identical  messages to multiple  LISTSERV mailing
lists. To
ward against a possible spamming  attempt, your posting privileges are
being
withdrawn for the next 48 hours, worldwide.  While you will still be
able to
post  to the  mailing lists,  your messages  will be  forwarded to  the
list
owners for verification before they are distributed.

A "spam"  is an advertisement  or other  unsolicited material sent  to
large
numbers  of mailing  lists  with no  consideration for  whether  or not
the
material is appropriate for  the lists it is being sent  to. A single
"spam"
can  result  in  the  delivery  of  millions  of  unwanted  e-mail
messages
worldwide,  costing the  victims and  service providers  a total  of
several
hundred thousand  dollars. The  cost to  the spammer  is usually  under
five
dollars. To be effective, a  counter-measure must neutralize the spam
within
the first five minutes. Consequently, there  is no time for all the
LISTSERV
servers to compare notes with each  other before acting, and some
legitimate
postings may be intercepted erroneously. Please accept our apologies if
this
is what happened to you.