Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 May 1994 07:49:53 EST
Roger, naturally there should be exceptions to such rules, and yes, I
agree that the community you serve has to be served in that way.  I
can relate to it...:)

However, I'm referring to the community of people who have no real
excuse, who've just been given (or just discovered) this "new toy"
we call the Internet and have started to use it without that first
modicum of trying to find out how to do things.  I am only echoing
what I hear on the lists I own and the ones I'm subscribed to.  My
users don't appreciate 'leventy-dozen "Please unsubscribe me" messages
appearing in their mailboxes--they're busy people and the list(s)
are a tool for them.  The comments made on LSTOWN-L not too long ago
regarding "Here comes AOL" were pretty much on the mark.

If there isn't some education of new users, the Information Superhighway
would probably be more aptly named the Information STUPIDhighway...
imagine 20 million more lusers on the net!  :)

I put out quarterly postings on my public lists with info on how to
unsub, set user options, etc., and I'm thinking about going monthly...
one of my lists just shot up from 300+ to 600+ subscribers and the
sheer amount of admin traffic is beginning to irritate some of the
"regulars."  Somewhere there <has> to be a happy medium between
people trying to use the net as a tool and people who'd like to use
it as a tool but haven't got the patience to read the documentation.
Perhaps among us we can come up with that happy medium!

Nathan

BITNET:  NBRINDLE@INDYCMS  ------------  Internet:  [log in to unmask]
Nathan C. Brindle, Student Activities Office
Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis
Staff Advisor, Alpha Phi Omega Nat'l Service Fraternity, Tau Omicron Chapter
List Manager, STUACTS, APOSEC52, ACCESS-L, BRTHPRNT, EXCEL-L & STUDENT@INDYCMS
Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own.  Indiana University can speak for itself.