Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 Jan 1997 17:23:00 -0700
At 05:13 PM 1/24/97 -0700, you wrote:
>I would buy that Daniel, except that I myself had Netcom at one point in
>time, and spent hours on the phone with them trying different configurations
>and none of them seemed to fix the problem.

Two issues here.  One is that it isn't YOUR problem, but your subscriber's
problem.  Let HIM deal with netcom or whoever.  Second, he could always
choose an ISP that has better service and support, has better help desk
people, etc.  (most would say netcom is not strong in those areas...I know
that I don't use them for many reasons, though they're locally
available...and NO i will not discuss netcom further, at least on list)

>>Often the solution is to properly configure the E-mail sofware.  It may
>>be that the person configured his software to say that his E-mail
>>address was "jsmith" instead of "[log in to unmask]".  When a message goes
>>out, the host E-mail software, seeing that the "From" address is not
>>fully qualified, changes it to reflect the name of the computer that
>>happened to answer the phone when jsmith called it.  It might not have
>>touched the From address at all had it been fully qualified from the
>>start.

Indeed. This is the best and most specific suggestion so far.  Eudora and
many other POP3 programs will do exactly what is described above.  In fact,
in many of them you can set any return address you want, and it could be
something totally different on a different ISP.  So be sure that he has the
full return address set in his mail package.

And it could be that the answer is so simple that the netcom guys
overlooked it....I did a similar thing this morning when helping a user
with a commercial mail product we use under Win95.  I wasted twenty minutes
going off in the wrong direction and finally stopped and THOUGHT and
realized it was so obvious I was embarrassed.  The user I was helping even
said "I thought that might be it, but I didn't wanna say anything because
you know everything."   Sure.  Uh huh.  NONE of us know it all, and if we
did we'd still miss something.

dan, definitely human