Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 6 May 90 20:59:01 O
All  sites running  LISTSERV  under  CMS 5.5  (or  5.6)  *and* VM/XA  are
strongly  encouraged to  order and  install fix  16D-005O (see  below for
details on  the ordering procedure).  Due to a bug  in CMS 5.5,  which is
only triggered on  XA-capable versions of CP, (all  versions of) LISTSERV
can experience CMS  crashes with a disabled  wait PSW if this  fix is not
installed. Although  this is a CMS  bug, I have decided  to circumvent it
rather than attempt to  APAR it, because (1) my site  is not licensed for
the components  in question, and  (2) it is not  clear how long  it would
take IBM  to fix it, if  at all. The  fix is, of course,  compatible with
previous versions of CMS.

Individual LISTSERV fixes are now  made available from LISTSERV@SEARN, so
that you  can obtain them even  when I am  not logged on; this  will also
have the satisfactory side-effect of  preserving my sanity in cases where
120 people want a LSVCARDR fix on  the same day. I will not describe this
new service  procedure here,  because you will  automatically get  a memo
when you order  your first fix. Note that only  important ("HIPER") fixes
will be  announced on LSTSRV-M. The  instructions to order a  copy of the
fix I just mentioned are the following:

- If you are running release 1.6d of LISTSERV, go ahead and order the fix
  (TELL LISTSERV  AT SEARN GET  16D-005O FIX),  or the list  of available
  fixes (TELL LISTSERV AT SEARN GET V16D FIXLIST).

- If you are  running release 1.6a, 1.6b  or 1.6c, do NOT  order the fix;
  the installation  exec would refuse  to apply  it. You must  upgrade to
  1.6d first;  just contact me if  you have questions regarding  what you
  have to do in order to upgrade.

- If you  are an EARN site  running release 1.5o or  LISTEARN, you should
  not attempt  to use ANY  of the  fixes from LISTSERV@SEARN:  they apply
  ONLY to release 1.6 of LISTSERV. To get fixes for your server, you must
  contact Turgut Kalfaoglu <TURGUT@TREARN> instead.

- Finally, non-EARN site running release 1.5 or older should realize that
  the  version  they are  running  is  totally unsupported  and  consider
  whether or not they want to order 1.6 from me.

To avoid  any misunderstanding, I  am enclosing  a copy of  the copyright
instructions in LFIXES FILELIST.

  Eric

*
* LISTSERV software fixes and installation procedure
*
* >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Copyright instructions <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
*
* With the  exception of LFIX  MEMO, ALL the  files in this  filelist are
* copyrighted  by the  author of  LISTSERV  and made  available to  those
* LISTSERV sites owning a valid license  for release 1.6 of LISTSERV, and
* to these sites only, under the same conditions as the LISTSERV software
* itself.  SITES  REGISTERED  FOR  RELEASE  1.5  OR  OLDER,  OR  FOR  THE
* "LISTEARN" SOFTWARE,  ARE NOT AUTHORIZED  TO MAKE  USE OF THE  FILES IN
* THIS FILELIST; sites registered for  the "LISTEARN" software which ALSO
* own a valid license for release 1.6 of LISTSERV are authorized.
*
* Although every reasonable  step has been taken to  prevent people other
* than the registered LISTSERV contacts  of licensed release 1.6 LISTSERV
* sites from  obtaining a copy of  these copyrighted files, it  should be
* clearly  understood  that  success  in  the retrieval  of  any  of  the
* aforesaid  files from  the server,  through  a "security  hole" of  the
* server software, because of an  oversight from the server maintainer or
* for  any  other reason,  does  NOT  automatically grant  the  retriever
* permission to make  use of the file.  Usage of the file  in question is
* permitted ONLY if  the retriever's site ("node") is  a registered owner
* of a LISTSERV software license for release 1.6 of the software.
*
* For more information regarding the  conditions of use of this software,
* please refer to the release 1.6 LISTSERV License Agreement.
*
*
* This filelist contains documentation, source  and object code fixes for
* LISTSERV. You should only attempt to order and install fixes pertaining
* to the release of LISTSERV that you are running; you can find a list of
* them in  'Vnnn FIXLIST',  where 'nnn'  is the  release you  are running
* (without the '.', which is an invalid character in LISTSERV file-ID's).
* For more information, read LFIX MEMO.
*