Jose Maria Blasco <JMBLASCO@DEARN>
Tue, 29 Nov 88 17:33:36 MEZ
>> Note: I'm including  a short description of the LsvTalk  package at the end
>> of this note, for the benefit  of REXXLIST readers, where LsvTalk was never
>> explained in detail. New LSTSRV-L subscribers may also find it interesting.

I've just  stored on LISTSERV@DEARN the  latest version of LSVTALK.  News with
this release:

* The LSVTALK package contains a new  file, "LSVTALK NEWS", which will be used
  to describe the changes every time I'll store a new (non bog-fix) version.

* A new  command line parameter (and  Control Panel option) has  been added to
  request LsvTalk to start either in "Warm"  or "Cold" mode. Warm start is now
  the default. When  you exit LsvTalk and  the Warm switch is  on, the current
  session is  checkpointed to a file  called "LSVTALK LASTSESS A0".  Next time
  you inkove  LsvTalk, your  session, current dialog  partner or  host, PF-key
  setting, mode stack, and current  mode, will be restored automatically. This
  can be very useful if you have to interrupt your session for whatever reason
  -- you'll not  loose any data,  you'll stll be able  to scroll back  and see
  what commands did you  issue and which were their results,  etc. You will of
  course notice some  increase of CPU time when entering  and leaving LsvTalk,
  since it now has to read and write the whole session.

  Please note that  the implementation of the warm start  concept implies that
  no profiles  will be processed when  a warm start is  being performed, since
  all settings are passed intact using the warm start data file.

  All  the preceding  can be  bypassed if  you select  the COLD  start option.
  LsvTalk will then behave as in the previous version.

* Some minor bugs in the handling of logfiles have been fixed.

These changes affect  LSVTALK EXEC, LSVTALK HELPLIB,  LSVTALK HELPCMS, LSVTALK
NEWS  and  PROFLTK  XEDIT.  Bitnet   and  Netnorth  subscribers  will  receive
automatically a  copy; I'd like to  encourage other users of  LsvTalk who like
the program to AFD also to the package.

This  version makes  obsolete the  previous version,  which I  will no  longer
support,  fix or  distribute. The  present version  is NOT  available to  EARN
users.

  Jose Maria

Short description of LsvTalk.

LsvTalk  is a  full-screen dialog  manager. It  works similarly  to most  chat
programs, and  contains built-in  drivers to  facilitate the  use of  the most
important servers  in the  network (namely, LISTSERV  and NETSERV).  The whole
dialog is  kept in an XEDIT  file, which allows  the use of several  basic but
still powerful XEDIT  facilities. You can scroll up and  down, left and right,
to see what  your dialog partner or  host replied some time ago,  and thus you
are not limited by the size of  your terminal (and by messages which disappear
if you  are using  native CMS);  you can  also locate  desired data  using the
locate command, use "permanent" (&-prefixed) commands as in XEDIT, etc.

LsvTalk can be used as a conventional  chat program, as a means to communicate
with servers (with a specialized mode  to do LISTSERV DATABASE searches) or as
a limited form  of full-screen CMS manager. A simple  conventional helpfile is
offered with  the package,  along with  a full  contextual pop-up  window help
builtin  facility. Program  options can  be changed  on invocation  or from  a
pop-up Control  Panel. Other  facilities (as  password masking  and prompting,
smooth  scrolling, or  cursor scrolling)  are  described in  the builtin  help
facility.

LsvTalk works  on CMS releases 3,  4, 5 and  5.5 under VM/SP (with  or without
HPO), VM/XA SF  2 and VM/XA SP 1 and  2 (but for VM/XA it is  not supported in
XA-mode machines).