Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 22 Jan 88 23:18:58 SET
John, this was a philosophical discussion.  There is presently no way you
can tell  other LISTSERVs that you  accept DISTRIBUTE jobs for  just your
node. The point is that if it  has to be implemented, it's probably going
to  be hardcoded  (ie there  is a  LISTSERV  at node  X -->  node X  gets
DISTRIBUTE jobs for all its local node  users). If you think I'm going to
check with each non-backbone server (the  ones most difficult to get info
from) that  all their lists  are either (a)  non-peered, (b) peered  to a
FILES=NO list or (c) configured to  accept DISTRIBUTE jobs for local node
users and  properly registered,  you're wrong  :-) Okay if  I set  up the
rules  and warn  people that  a loop  may arise  if they  break them  and
someone does reak them, it won't be my fault. But the person who gets the
complaints will  still be me. The  person who'll be insulted  by the UUCP
freaks will be me  again (not that I really care).  And guess who's going
to receive complaints from  so-called "systems programmers" that actually
sound more like administrative directors, about  the fact that if a given
software product  has to abide  by a certain  predefined set of  rules in
order to  operate properly,  then the  aforesaid software  should provide
facilities to automatically enforce  the aforementioned rules inasmuch as
is  technically and  humanly  feasible within  the  limits of  reasonable
system resource  consumption, blah  blah, 21th century  software ergonomy
and expert systems blah human errors blah blah...

  Eric