Barak Moshe <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 12:25:52 +0200
Hello,
I understand that is an effort going to enable an option to disable attachments
in mail files sent to a list. While this is certainly fine and desirable, I was
thinking of another option, which I would find very valuable, perhaps others
too.
One of the reasons I am reluctant to recommend to list owners of large mailing
lists the option to send Word files as an attachment is because of the disk
space issue. if I have a list of 10K users (say undergraduate students) and
each will receive a 200K Word file once a week, then it's easy to see that the
disk space involved is an issue. More so since we have many more lists then
just one. If there was a mechanism that upon it's setup would enable sending an
attachment, but would do 2 things:

1. Save only one copy of the attachment in the archive (this is done anyhow
   I guess, if there is an archive - it could be a condition for this)
2. Do not send the attachment/s to the list members, but add a header
   to the mail file, telling them where the attachment can be viewed from.
   Perhaps something (configurable) like:

   " This mail contained an attachment that has been removed and can be
     viewed at http://......."
   Since I can include a header/trailer for lists anyhow, perhaps this is
   reduced to not including the attachment in the mail, but do log it in the
   archive ?

Of course there are many more issues to think about in this regard, but once
sorted out, I know this is a feature I would love, as it will allow me to
distribute information via Listserv, in a way that I can't do today, not for
technical reasons, but because of the huge disk space it will require.
Best,
Moshe