Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 27 Mar 1996 23:00:34 +0100
Phase 1a of  the file server functions has been  written and tested. This
includes the ability to create catalogs (similar to the VM FILELISTs) and
to organize files in  a hierarchical manner, so that you  can have a file
called  /abc/def/ghi/my.file,  although  during  phase 1  this  will  not
necessarily be  very user friendly  for the person maintaining  the files
and directories. Phase  1b is AFD/FUI and a few  other minor changes, and
is under development. The  plan is to release phase 1  (1a + 1b) together
with version 1.8c.  This should, for most sites, provide  a similar level
of  functionality  as  the  VM  file server  functions,  with  a  simpler
interface (just like,  say, the management of WELCOME files  is easier in
the  non-VM versions).  Phase 2  will contain  further improvements  that
will, to  a large  extent, be  based on  customer feedback  following the
release of  phase 1. In  other words, the design  for phase 1  was fairly
straightforward based on  what people had been used to  since 1987 and on
the code  we already had.  I expect that people  will be able  to migrate
from FILELISTs to phase  1 CATALOG files in about 5  minutes, and I don't
expect anyone  to have any  major complaint,  other than "This  should be
easier to  do, although  now that you  mention it, it  wasn't easy  on VM
either". For phase 2 we have all  sorts of ideas, but it's not clear what
people will need first.

The database functions are a hot  potato because what the majority of our
customers are clamouring for is  graphical, web-based database access. We
have reached a point where some customers will actually get very upset if
we  release a  text-based database  engine, unless  a web-based  database
feature is also  provided at the same time. Conversely  many long-time VM
customers  have indicated  that, to  a large  extent, web-based  database
functions would  be an acceptable  substitute, although there's  always a
list  or two  where this  isn't workable.  We try  to make  all customers
happy, but this isn't always possible. The file server functions got done
first because there  were a lot more people asking  for them, and because
they aren't controversial.

Now,  version  1.8c  will  also   include  full  support  for  the  INDEX
subscription option  (already written  and tested).  This includes  a new
command that allows you to retrieve individual messages from the archives
(this  command  is  used  internally  by the  INDEX  code,  but  will  be
documented as  NDSU's experience with /SHIP  makes it clear that  this is
something power users do find useful).  I imagine that we could implement
a SEARCH  command that would  look for certain  words or phrases  in list
archives,  and return  item  numbers that  can be  used  to retrieve  the
postings in  question. Something similar  to SCAN, with a  simpler syntax
than the  database functions.  This might provide  some relief  for sites
that  use  the  database  functions  for simple  things,  and  it  should
hopefully not alienate  the graphical-oriented customers because  it is a
minor  development  that  nobody  will dream  of  labeling  a  "strategic
direction" or anything like that. Comments?

Finally, the main reason we're late for all these developments is that we
don't have enough manpower. We keep hiring people, but we keep not having
enough  manpower anyway.  We've hired  three people  in December,  one in
February  and  one   this  month.  Two  more  are  about   to  be  hired,
realistically they'll  sign in April.  The three we've hired  in December
are already overwhelmed,  and in a few weeks they're  going to have three
new people to train.  As the sales folks say, "this is  a nice problem to
have", but it's a problem nonetheless.  I'm not trying to whine here, but
I'd  like to  clarify, since  it isn't  intuitive or  obvious, that  just
because there are a bunch of qualified list owners out there doesn't mean
that we can  hire more support people  at the snap of a  finger. The list
owners in question have a  job as teachers, scientists, journalists, etc.
Most  of them  simply do  not want  a career  change; they  think they're
already spending too much time working  on a computer and away from their
field to keep their  list together as it is :-) I'll  trade you 50 junior
programmer resumes for one seasoned list owner or LISTSERV admin :-)

  Eric