Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 2 Jun 1994 10:19:54 CDT
On Wed, 1 Jun 1994 15:19:30 CDT David Chapin said on LSTSRV-L:
>I'm not sure this is the proper forum for this, but here
>goes...
>
>I am currently involved in the possible expansion of a
>genealogy mailing list into two new mailing lists. The
>present listserver (vm1.nodak.edu) does not have the
>capability to expand and may, in fact, not allow our
>present list to continue in the near future.

   This note came as a surprise to me!  I'm the LISTSERV manager
at vm1.nodak.edu.  I want to give the other LISTSERV managers a bit
of background information and help allay any fears this note may have
caused among our other owners!

   David Chapin is not an owner of any lists at NDSU (vm1.nodak.edu).
He is a subscriber to the ROOTS-L list and has been active in trying
to change both the netnews group and list structure for ROOTS-L -
sometimes at variance to the wishes of the owners of the ROOTS-L
genealogy list.

   It is true that the Information Technology Services administrators
here are reviewing VM downsizing and the impact that would have on
LISTSERV.  The way that is going it looks like we may concentrate on
certain areas as far as "non-local owner" list hosting.  And it is
very likely that genealogy will NOT be one of the areas we will focus
on.  Thus I have told the ROOTS-L owners and Mr. Chapin that it is
very unlikely we'd be able to host a new list if the list is split and
that we may need to find a new home for ROOTS-L.

   HOWEVER, I don't want other list owners here to become unduly
alarmed that they will have to go looking for a new home for all their
lists!  I have wanted to wait to make an announcement to them (FIRST)
when the policy had been set because there are likely to be several
iterations before that is done.  And if any other lists are affected we
certainly plan to give the owners as much accurate information, lead
time, and help as we can!

   Thank you!

Marty Hoag   [log in to unmask]            US Mail: NDSU ITS
ND Higher Education Computer Network                IACC Room 206
Phone: (701)-237-8639  Fax: (701)-237-8541          PO Box 5164
Bitnet: nu021172@NDSUVM1  (note 0=zero)             Fargo, ND  58105