Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:29:30 -0500
My suggestion is: Web and ftp sites work just fine for files and
attachments. Why does Listserv need to know about them?

Best,
Al Iverson

"Mark A. Holmes" wrote:

> Mark at the Univ of Cinti here
>
> any suggestions/comments?   thanks
>
> At 03:26 PM 10/17/2001 -0400, i wrote to L-soft support:
>
> > 1. (asked previously, but not answered) How could i go about
> > arranging list archives into alphabetical pages, so that they are
> > updated automatically by Listserv ie A | B | C | D | E or A-C D-G
> > H-K L-O ... we have over 600 lists on our system now, most with web
> > archives  finding the list you want is a real pain
> > --
> > If you are networked, you can find your lists in order through the
> > Catalist at: http://www.lsoft.com/lists/listref.html

> lists at catalist
>
> > It could be possible that someone else may have accomplished this,
> > if you would like, you want to ask on the LSTSRV-L list, maybe
> > someone will have some helpful tips for you there...
>
> gotcha   will do   i have a feeling that the solution involves
> significant coding on my part
>
> > 2. is Lsoft planning to introduce a keyword to limit the size of an
> > attachment, based upon the its filesize? in KB or MB rather than
> > line of ASCII text?
> >
> > You can accomplish this by setting
> > * Sizelim= XXXX
> > In your list header... Making the X's whatever size you would like..
> >

> the SizeLim= keyword refers to lines of ASCII text   therefore it
> basically just counts ASCII end-of-lines
>
> this keyword does not translate to lines in other document types    a
> 2-3 page Word document, for instance, easliy exceeds a SizeLim set to
> a thousand lines or more!   what i am looking for is a way to control
> the size of an attachment, regardless of filetype
>
> > 3. is Lsoft planning to develop a feature for the Listserv web
> > interface whereby a subscriber can add an attachment to a web
> > posting - the attachment would be posted to the list archives, but
> > not delivered to the subscribers - only a link to the attachment
> > would appear in delivered message --
> > This suggestion will be passed onto our developers to be reviewed
> > for our wishlist... but you may find that the next answer will
> > provide you with what you want.
>
> the idea is to allow messages with attachments to be posted, but the
> software is smart enough to pickoff the attachment,  put it in a
> list's file archives, and then just distribute the message with a
> hyperlink to the archived document   much less resource intensive than
> "PUSHING" files attachments out to subscriber inboxes
>
> > 4. is Lsoft planning to develop a feature for the Listserv web
> > interface whereby a subscriber can post files to and download files
> > from a list's file archive - basic "internet file-sharing"
> > capability would eliminate the need to "PUSH" a file attachment out
> > to hundreds or even thousands of email accounts --
> > You can use LISTSERV as a file server in a way, but it
> > wouldn't be in the discussion archives. This is in Chapter 8 of the
> > Site Maintainer's manual:
> > http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/sitemgr/sitemgr.html#8

> [...]

Al Iverson -- [log in to unmask] -- Minneapolis, Minnesota
Support Jazz in Minnesota! -- http://www.mnjazz.com/
All opinions are mine alone unless I state otherwise.
This message was encrypted with ROT-26 encryption.