Dave Gomberg <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 May 1993 05:57:57 PDT
Here is the resolution of the Nutall business.  Note how nicely and
professionally it was handled.  Now we need a way of nipping such
problems in the bud.   Dave

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't ask much in their fantasy lives.
GOMBERG@UCSFVM  Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU             fax-> (415)731-7797

Dave,

     I have finally received a full report of all the problems caused by
a Stu Nuttal (U9230106) from this site to many Lists. This has caused us
much pain, and I appreciate many others as well. This incident came about
by a Matt Funnell ([log in to unmask]) playing a practical joke on S.Nuttal
by joining him to a vast amount of Lists. This created problems here as S.Nuttal
is an undergraduate and did not have enough disk filestore to receive all the
messages aimed at him, causing problems on our mailer. We have been in touch
with this Matt Funnell who has now unsubscribed all but one LIST (this we are
working on) and has apologied for his foolish behavour. I intend to inform his
University of the problems he has caused. I should say that Stu Nuttal does not
have the computing knowledge to have caused this problem, and on talking to him,
it was obvious he did not know what had happened.

     I am grateful for your actions in not shutting down our node and trust that
this will never happen again. It is a worry that a user from one site can join
a user on another site to a single list, let alone so many. I can see this could
be a future problem.

Thank you very much for your help, don't hesitate to get in touch.

Can you put a message on 'list management' expaining the situation.

Alan Coombe