Glenda Keyworth <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:19:47 -0500
Sorry everyone. I finally did what I should have done in the first place. I
called the person who apparently sent the post to the listserv. I'll hold off on
contacting the list until I've exhausted local sources of information next time.

She had attempted to post to the list. The list owner got a copy of it and
assumed it was distributed to the subscribers. The person who posted the message
said she didn't get the message and neither did anyone else she knew of on the
list.

The thing that threw me off is that the message saying to forward the message
back to the list wasn't there. The message looked like it had been distributed
to the list from the person who wasn't an editor.

Thanks for your help. I learned things that will help me work with other lists.

Glenda

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kenny, Melissa S" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: Non editor able to post to list

I've been following this thread with interest because I believe I saw
the same thing the other day.  In this case the list header looks like
this:

HMSnews ZZZZ

LoopCheck= Nobody
Owner= [log in to unmask]
Subscription= closed
Subscription= Confirm
Validate= Yes
Validate= Confirm
Reply-to= List
Reply-to= Respect
Review= Owners
Send= Editor
Send= Hold
Send= Confirm
Editor= [log in to unmask]
Sizelim= 500K
X-Tags= No
Auto-Delete= Yes
Auto-Delete= Semi-Auto
Auto-Delete= Delay(4)
Auto-Delete= Max(100)
Notify= No
Notebook= Yes
Notebook= (redacted)
Notebook= Monthly
Notebook= Private

I've removed the owners and editors, but the address in question is not
one of those addresses.

In this case there were three reported messages that supposedly had gone
to the list without approval.  It turns out that two of them were
accidentally approved, but I can't find any indication from the log that
the third one was.  Here are the relevant parts of the log (I've
replaced some parts of the mail addresses and the listname):

20 Jul 2007 11:47:40 Requesting confirmation, cookie=7C7ED65E, ID=5339A4
20 Jul 2007 11:47:40 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]
20 Jul 2007 11:47:40 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]

20 Jul 2007 11:58:06 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU: OK
7C7ED65E
20 Jul 2007 11:58:06 From [log in to unmask]: APPROVE HMSNEWS_ZZZZ
5339A4
20 Jul 2007 11:58:06 To   [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU: Message
successfully approved.

20 Jul 2007 12:00:42 Requesting confirmation, cookie=98629981, ID=5CE35E
20 Jul 2007 12:00:42 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]
20 Jul 2007 12:00:42 Sent information mail to [log in to unmask]

20 Jul 2007 12:01:20 From [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU: OK
98629981
20 Jul 2007 12:01:20 From [log in to unmask]: APPROVE HMSNEWS_ZZZZ
5CE35E
20 Jul 2007 12:01:20 To   [ANONYMOUS]@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU: Message
successfully approved.

20 Jul 2007 11:59:04 Processing file 1906383 from
-> Not a subscriber, will process in 10 minutes.

20 Jul 2007 12:09:04 Processing file 1906383 from
20 Jul 2007 12:09:05 Processing mail from [log in to unmask] for
HMSNEWS_ZZZZ
20 Jul 2007 12:09:05 Distributing mail ("HMSNEWS_ZZZZ") from
owner-hmsnews_ZZZZ@LISTSERV.MED.HARVARD.EDU...
20 Jul 2007 12:09:05 Mail posted via SMTP to ....

In the first four snippets you can see that confirmation was requested
and the "OK" was given (by a new user who didn't understand what the
confirmation message meant.)  The last six lines are for the message
that doesn't seem to have been approved, but went through anyway.  No
confirmation was requested.  I searched the log for the file number
1906383, but can't find it anywhere else other than those two sections
of the log.

The settings for [log in to unmask] for the list are:

Subscription options for [log in to unmask], list HMSNEWS_ZZZZ:

MAIL           You are sent individual postings as they are received
FULLHDR        Full (normal) mail headers
NOREPRO        You do not receive a copy of your own postings
NOACK          No acknowledgement of successfully processed postings

I'm not sure this is the same problem, but I don't understand why this
message was distributed to the list.

Melissa