Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:01:26 -0400
> >So, Default-Options  are applied to non-subscribers  (where meaningful),
> >but not to sublist subscribers?
>
> A sub-list  subscriber has his own  set of options from  his subscription
> entry. These options override "Default-Options=". This is consistent with
> the way LISTSERV options work.

That's not how it appears to work with Repro.  There seems to be no way
now to get Repro to work for sublist subscribers.

> >And   for    non-subscribers,   only   Ack=   is    honored,   but   not
> >Default-Options=Ack/NoAck?
>
> The problem  is that the  absence of  ACK in "Default-Options="  does not
> mean  that the  list owner  intended for  NOACK to  be in  effect. It  is
> difficult  to  move  the   functionality  to  "Default-Options="  without
> breaking existing headers based on "Ack=".

Are you saying that Ack/Noack in Default-Options does not apply to
non-subscribers?

Given that both Ack=Yes/No and Default-Options=Ack/Noack both exist,
it seems like there would have to be a precedence order, such as

   (1)  If Ack= is specified, use that setting.

   (2)  If Default-Options=Ack/Noack is specified, then use that
        setting.

So if both were specified, Default-Options would override Ack=.
Or it could just as well be defined the other way around.

It does seem that, in order to minimize confusion, that the same
rules should apply to both subscribers and non-subscribers.

> >With subscribers it's never been obvious to me which takes precedence if
> >both are specified.
>
> "Default-Options="  is never  applied  to an  existing  subscriber -  the
> options from the  subscriber's entry are always used. If  none of the ACK
> series of options were specified, "Ack=" is then queried.
>
>   Eric

I meant what happens when someone subscribes to a list.  Isn't their
Ack setting determined at that time from the then-current specification
of Ack= and Default-Options?