"A. Harry Williams" <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Nov 1992 23:28:41 EST
On Fri, 13 Nov 1992 23:58:50 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Fri, 13 Nov 1992 16:06:36 EST "Steven P. Roder"
><[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>Anyone  have experience  with list  containing subscriptions  upwards of
>>9,000 users? This  NAVIGATE list in our  system is growing at  a rate of
>>about 2000/day (400 over the  last hour), and currently contains approx.
>>8900. Is there a limit in LISTSERV?
>
>There is no limit beyond what your CPU and disks can deliver. Before 1.7d
>lists of that size required enormous amounts of CPU time for additions of
>new subscribers and so on, so  in list archives you might find statements
>that  these lists  simply don't  work. Message  distribution still  takes
>quites a lot  of time, but then  there's no way to avoid  that and things
>are getting better with every release.
NETMONTH has at times gotten over 5,000.  As Eric states, things have improved
a lot in the last two releases for large lists.  Prior to non-sorted LIST
files, ADDs could take minutes.  They are now very reasonable.  The
distribution still takes some time.  You should examine the logs for
how long it takes to distribute an average message.  If you can afford the
time,  I'd not peer the list.  The only reason I'd peer a list today
would be to distribute the archives through out the network.

>  Eric
/ahw