Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Tue, 21 Oct 1986 21:33 SET
  Jose: your idea  is good but very difficult to  implement at present. Perhaps
when we have the file server functions it will be easy to automatically add the
stats files to  'listname FILELIST' with a GET=(listname)  and PUT=Owner, which
would allow the  list owner to delete  them easily and users  to retrieve them.
But at present,  only the postmaster would  be able to delete  them or retrieve
them :-( Any idea?

  As you may  know I've been reshaping a  few lists this weekend. I  ran into a
lot  of troubles  and  decided to  take  steps  to avoid  them  in the  future.

1) I killed the EARNTECH list at CEARN  by sending a STORE request to the wrong
   server -- the  list intended for FINHUTC  was stored at CEARN  and here died
   the CEARN list. Hopefully I had kept a copy of it in my reader and could res
   tore it. I was lucky, I could  have been unlucky. Version 1.5c will save the
   old version  of the  list as  "listname OLDLIST"  and there  will be  a (OLD
   option to the GET command to retrieve it if needs arise. I could have done a
   GET EARNTECH (OLD to get back a copy of the old list.

2) Issuing a GET, HOLD and FREE to the seven LSTSRV-L peers is a pain. I'll im-
   plement a (GLOBAL option to these commands. Ditto for DELETE.

3) It's a pain to have lists come in with a filetype of list. As you may know I
   had fought off a  suggestion that the filetype be set  to 'nodeid' because I
   intended to have all servers know about ALL the recipients of the list, ie a
   "listname LIST"  and "listname RMTLIST".  That would have solved  the REView
   problem and also the send=private issue.  I was discouraged by the number of
   people who logon to the LISTSERV userid to modify their lists (I'm the first
   to do it by the way :-)  ), thereby thwarting any attempt at informing other
   servers of the change :-(
   Anyway, I've  now opted  for a  filetype = nodeid  on the  REV/GET commands,
   except:

     - If there is no peers= keyword, the filetype will be LIST, quite logical-
       ly. Only one central list --> no need for nodeid.

     - If the command is GET and the GLOBAL option was not specified, the file-
       type will be LIST so that GET  listname --> listname LIST and GET listna
       me (GLOBAL --> bunches of listname nodeid files.

   Also, LSVPUT  has been improved:  there is a new  (LIST option which  can be
   used  in  conjunction with  the  "listname  nodeid"  files:  you just  do  a
   FLIST LSTSRV-L  * (for  example), then  LSVPUT /  (LIST, =,=,=,=,=,  and the
   files get stored automatically at  servernode = filetype. This already works
   and is  compatible with 1.5b  provided that  you rename the  lists manually.
   LSVPUT filename still stores filename LIST, of course.

4) Some servers run an obsolete version  of the $DEFAULT MAILFORM. Version 1.5c
   will automatically  RENAME MAILFORM -->  OLDMFORM and NEWMFORM  --> MAILFORM
   if $DEFAULT  NEWMFORM is found on  the disk. That should  solve the problem.

5) Some servers  still have a SAMPLE  LIST (with myself as  the owner usually).
   I'd recommend you did  a TELL LISTSERV CMS ERASE SAMPLE  LIST. Not that this
   list causes problems or anything. I'm  just getting questions from user that
   "Why is such  a widely-spread distribution list not  accessible to subscrip-
   tion, and why does it reports it as not operational?" :-)

To answer a question from many of you: file LISTSERV NAMES is not needed at all
unless you want to define your own nicknames in the LISTSERV userid, of course.
I'm not responsible for the stupidity of NAMEFIND which complains when you do a
mere NAMEFIND (SIZE * to set up the default size of the file buffer.

About the security memo: I've got a  lot of requests from US people. I realized
that the  mailing fee  was much  more important than  I thought  yesterday... I
don't mind  paying 15*$1 for European  users, but 10*$5 is  something different
(especially  since I  wouldn't be  surprised to  get more  requests during  the
week)... I'll be delaying the US mailings  until I find a solution: either mail
them  low priority  or get  permission from  FRECP11 to  send them  through the
school mailing service or suchlike. I'm not a millionaire!!

  Eric