Joe Sparrow <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Sep 1992 08:18:48 PDT
On Sun, 20 Sep 1992 14:47:17 +0200 Eric Thomas said: Mail from PROFS
>will be a problem until everyone has installed 17D-001o (or any later
>fix which involves LSWPLIB). . . . My advice, again, is that installing
>PUMP to fix the problem forever for all your users and for all servers
>(not just LISTSERV) is a much better use of your time . . .

I agree wholeheartedly with Eric on the PROFS issue but not necessarily
in his PUMP recommendation.

As the author of PUMP, I recommend to others that: PUMP should be
considered if, AND ONLY IF, it is not feasible (technically or
politically) to migrate to a mail system that natively supports mail in
RFC822 format. I do not hesitate to recommend RiceMail for VM.

If PUMP is installed, all non-local mail will be converted to RFC822
format by default, therefore, non-local LISTSERVers should not have a
problem. All local LISTSERV list names should be entered in the file
"RFC822 USERS". PUMP will convert mail to local userids found in this
file to RFC822 format.

For more information on PUMP, GET file PUMP LISTING (and PUMPOVVM
LISTING if you have OV/VM) from [log in to unmask] Do be aware that UVic has
phased out PROFS Notes and, except to fix a bug or 2 from time to time,
I don't spend much time on PUMP - it seems to do the job (but RiceMail
does a better one :-).

Cheers