Jerry B Altzman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 15 Mar 1992 13:59:53 EST
On Sun, 15 Mar 1992 19:14:10 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>I am not sure I understand  the situation that you are describing. Surely
>mail to whatever lists  of local users you might have  isn't going to get
>sent to  another machine and back,  backbone or not. You  must be talking
>about  the mailing-list  traffic sent  to  your local  users by  upstream
>lists. If  your upstream  node is  not on the  backbone either,  you will
>indeed  be  served by  a  downstream  node, which  becomes  topologically
>closer. This  is unfortunate, but  I am  afraid I don't  quite understand
>your attitude.

That is indeed the case--that mail from off-site mailling lists were being
passed down to a leaf site and then back up to ours (you worked out one
problem like this with me once already...)

>If you don't run  LISTSERV and want to play with  mailing lists, you have
>to rely on the  services offered by LISTSERV sites. You  may not like the
>service  you are  getting, but  you are  free to  run your  own LISTSERV.
>Similarly, if you don't run a backbone  LISTSERV, you have to rely on the
>services offered by backbone LISTSERV  sites; same comment applies. There
>are things that can be done to make  the files flow the way they used to.

Fine then. We DO run our own listserv. That's not the point I'm trying to make.
The only point I was trying to make is that leaf sites should NOT just go and
join the backbone without first talking to their upstream sites about it.

>  Eric

//jbaltz