Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:49:11 -0800
Greetings!

I'm seeking a home for a proposed new mailing list. Enclosed below is a
draft proposal for the list, "Community Arts of Social Change - Tools for
Transformation", which will be a news and discussion roundtable for
linking community-based artists internationally, allowing them to gain
inspiration from projects and activities in other communities. This could
be the first step towards establishing an interactive web clearinghouse
for community art.

To introduce myself: I'm a community-based artist in Vancouver, Canada,
who works with various companies on the west coast, including in Seattle,
Portland, and northern California.
Through my non-profit group the "Fool's Society", I've been producing
theatrical events, festivals and workshops since the early '80's.  I use
popular theatre techniques of giant puppetry, mask arts, clown, circus
and commedia dell'arte to address topical issues of social change.

I feel a real need myself to initiate a public forum where we can easily
hear about successful projects in other communities, and explore the
relationships between art and activism. Your comments about the proposal
are welcome.

I propose that the list begins as unmoderated, with myself becoming a
moderator if need arises. I am seeking access to software that can serve
a "digest" function, in case traffic increases.

Please respond directly to: [log in to unmask] -  I don't normally access
this discussion area.

Thanks,

Dan Vie
Vancouver, B.C.

            "Community Arts of Social Change - Tools for Transformation"

A international networking forum for community-based artists to share
news, ideas and information about their work in community.  This
lightly-moderated mailing list will serve as a resource and inspiration
for artists who are concerned with integrating an activist consciousness
into their work; who use art as a transformative medium for justice and
social change, and work to create collective mythologies that embrace
visions of our possible futures.

Community art, for the purposes of this list, is defined as that which
uses metaphor and archetype to make truths visible and resist the
politics of oppression, with the power to affect hearts and imaginations
on a global scale.  Accessibility to the work, inclusive of the family
and non-professional, will be seen as key.

This will be a place where artists who have been influenced by the work
of such companies as Welfare State, Bread and Puppet, and Augusto Boal's
Theatre of The Oppressed can dialogue about their activities around the
globe. Discussion may range from issues of aesthetics, to practical
techniques for creative survival, focusing on such topics as:

   -  ethical responsibility
   -  how to influence the popular media
   -  scripts, proposals, and how-to build this and that
   -  positive vs. negative impacts of image-making
   -  choosing the mainstream or marginality
   -  issues of sponsorship and funding
   -  grassroots mobilizing of volunteer groups, and especially,
   -  personal sustenance and motivation as a community-based artist.
   -  and more?

This mailing list can be a supportive resting place to evaluate our
successes and failures, to stimulate our collective poetics of
community-building, and disseminate *news*, ideas and energy for creative
protest.  "All celebration artists, culture-jammers, giant puppeteers,
shamans and fire-dancers, fools and pranksters, horn-blowers and
tree-huggers welcome".

Subscription information and guidelines to follow.