John Voigt <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Dec 1991 23:56:13 EST
On Thu, 12 Dec 1991 02:53:59 +0100 Eric Thomas said:
>On Wed, 11 Dec 1991 17:17:17 PST Melvin Klassen <KLASSEN@UVVM> said:
>
>>Notice that IBM7171 at TCSVM is not mentioned. Why?
>
>Because its  list-ID has been  set to  'IBM7171-MAIN' (with the  quotes -
>sigh) by the list owner. All peers ought to have the same list ID.
>
>  Eric

As the (former) list owner let me just say that this was done to prevent
having to deal with the messages I was getting because of (unauthorized)
peers.  Several people peered to IBM7171 without my permission and (by
ignoring my requests) refused to unpeer.  Worse yet, they had people on
their lists whose mail would bounce and would not remove them.  They
also had not added me as an owner on their copy of the list.  All this
resulted in me getting angry having to deal with the crap and changing
the name of the list to what it is now - with NO peers.  Maybe all this
has corrected itself by now - who knows?  I suppose you could contact the
new owners at TCSVM (since they laid me off there I've had very little
to do with LISTSERV) and ask them to change it.  If they contact me, I
would recommend that they leave it alone though - unless the other
"peers" are willing to behave better.  This has all been a while ago -
but I seem to recall that one of the problem peer sites was running
LISTEARN code.  I maybe wrong - might have been S-COMPUT.

John/