Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 31 May 1996 14:32:51 +0200
On     Fri,     31     May     1996    14:02:01     +1000     David     M
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>re: setting up listserv in an  efficient way (for high volume lists), do
>you have  any whitepapers on  this? For  exmaple lsoft runs  the busiest
>listserv  sites, do  you have  any technical  implementation guides  for
>setting up and maintaining  such sites, hardware requirements, bandwith,
>best platforms, etc.

Mailing list sites of that size  are always complex issues which are best
addressed on a case  by case basis. This is also  an area which undergoes
rapid changes, and  a white paper would become obsolete  within the year.
For instance, some  of the solutions we recommended just  a year ago (and
which  made  the  most  sense  then) are  clunky  and  sluggish  by  1996
standards. This  doesn't mean  the customers  who bought  these solutions
aren't happy campers, just that a  white paper on large performance sites
written  a  year ago  would  be  very much  like  a  white paper  on  the
advantages of upgrading  to a 486/100DX4 - with  the important difference
that it wouldn't be obvious that the information is obsolete.

>What about  management of  distributed listserv  (not using  the current
>listserv.net but setting up similar system  on a private network such as
>an intranet) and integration with database engines such as oracle.

These are also things  which are best discussed on a  case by case basis,
depending on your exact needs.

  Eric