Jean Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:08:51 -0500
We too had the signup files issue Margaret writes about when we moved from
AIX to linux, but haven't seen it on moves between linux boxes. On that
move, we also had issues with listserv global files: fixed by deleting
files that didn't come with the listserv distro, and running 'nodesgen'
once it was up to rebuild.

We moved listserv twice (linux to linux) in 2004 (the first box turned out
to be flakey, hardware-wise), and it got pleasantly boring.  This was
without changing the Listserv software and assumes the box is just doing
listserv:.

- build/secure/patch the new box to local standards.  Apache and
sendmail (or equivalents) running.  If either has been tweaked for
Listserv, re-tweak.

- check out /etc and such: add listserv-specific stuff (/etc/smrsh,
/etc/wa-config, and lsv_amin/ and lcmd in path come to mind).

- all our listserv and local related code is in /home or /usr/local, so
we just rsync'd them (making sure uids/gids are the same on both boxes).

- take down services, do a final rsync, change dns and local ip defs,
take down old box, bring up new.

--
Jean Snow  Production Systems Support
Enterprise Information Technology Services