Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 23:57:41 -0500
>                                                                        Is
> your LISTSERV web-interface using an SSL connection?

I do wish that L-Soft provided more explicit support for this.  I'm told
that it should work, but we havn't had a chance to try it yet.  Has anyone
else tried it?  We are using Netscape Enterprise Server on Solaris.

>                                                       Do you allow your
> users to send SMTP mail commands to LISTSERV (I'd imagine so)?  Well, SMTP
> travels in cleartext, so anyone on your network with a handy little sniffer
> (NT's Network Monitor, for instance) can just sit there and watch the mail,
> including passwords, flying over the network.

That's very true and is why I'd like to have the option of digitally
signing email commands, with PGP and/or S/MIME.  There are free
versions of PGP available for non-commercial use in both the US and
internationally.  Also, NAI just got a license to export PGP from the
US.  So PGP is available worldwide.