Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Tue, 2 May 89 08:28:24 CDT
   Last weekend the backlog of files from BITNIC's LISTSERV caused a major
traffic jam which the folks in that area are still working hard to overcome.
One of the main reasons for the glut of files was that BITNIC was the
closest backbone LISTSERV to the INTERBIT gateway defined at CUNYVM.

   Since then Eric has kindly distributed a new LINKSWT FILE.  If you
do not have yours automatically updated I strongly urge you to get a
current copy (dated 89/04/29 - enter the RELEASE command to check yours).

   One other BIG help would be if all LISTSERV sites with a local or nearby
Internet gateway would use it!  We have been doing this for many months and
it has been working well.  Here is how we have been doing it - your results
may vary.  We have used this with IBM's TCP/IP for VM (5798-FAL) releases 1.1,
1.2, 1.2.1 (PTF level) and now some experimental MX code (1.2.1MX).  We use
the Crosswell / XMAILER (now 2.03B).

1.  Each month when we get a new DOMAIN NAMES file we modify it:
    a.  We add our own domain (we chose not to have ours on BITNET right now)
    b.  Change all :mailer.SMTP@INTERBIT to :mailer.SMTP@mynode
          (eg. :mailer.SMTP@NDSUVM1 ).
    ---  that is a good first cut, but if you are more ambitious ---
    c.  Change all :mailer. entries for :Interconnect.YES to
          :mailer.SMTP@mynode
    d.  Save DOMAIN NAMES where it will be used by LISTSERV and MG for MAILER.
    e.  Do a  STOP REBOOT to listserv to rebuild the routing info with new
        DOMAIN NAMES.  Rebuild Mailer profile with MG and reaccess disk and
        reload mailer tables.
2.  We also added many parameter definitions and %via "hacks" to MAILER's
        MTPLATE.  However, we have backed ALL those off for the new MX
        code.
3.  I have encouraged Internet subscribers to subscribe to us via mail at
        [log in to unmask] so their Internet address will be used (and not
        a % hack).  By keeping the list entries "simple" we are able to take
        advantage of the MX code immediately - without changes in list entries.
4.  Once MX code is available you should be able to change the :Interconnect.MX
        entries to point to :mailer.SMTP@mynode also (or remove 2nd level
        and greater domains with :Interconnect.YES or :Interconnect.MX).  Does
        anyone already have a tool to manipulate DOMAIN NAMES?

   Please note that with DIST2 protocol (PLEASE be sure all your large lists
are Mail-via=Distribute or DIST2!!!) that this must be done at the ORIGIN of
the list!  All the routing decisions are made once.  So even if listservs at
major hubs make these changes it will only affect lists which are defined at
those nodes!

   By using nearby Internet gateways we can all help take some of the pressure
off of the SMTP at CUNYVM as well as the LISTSERVs in that area.   Additional
steps might be taken by checking lists for % hacks with @CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU, etc.

       Marty

Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639                            PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:   NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)    Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: [log in to unmask]
UUCP:    ...!uunet!ndsuvax!vm1.nodak.edu!NU021172