Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 26 Jun 1995 18:12:43 EDT
I've gotten several messages referred to me as possible spams.  They do
not appear to be spams and it's not clear to me why they were
identified as such.  The only thing that I can think of is that they
came through the [log in to unmask] gateway.  Since the majority of
posts to the PCIP list come that way, it could be a significant
problem.  They weren't all from the same person or with the same
subject.

It would be nice to have a better way of OKing them.  With me resending
them to the list, they go through the Netnews gateway again.  Also,
it's a pain.

== Forwarded Mail ==

Date:         Mon, 26 Jun 1995 11:18:32 -0400
From:         "L-Soft list server at NIHLIST (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      PCIP: possible spam from [log in to unmask]
To:           Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>

The following message was submitted by [log in to unmask] to the PCIP list at
LIST.NIH.GOV. It is being forwarded to you for verification because the message
has been  identified as a possible  "spam", that is, an  advertisement or other
unsolicited  material  sent   to  large  numbers  of  mailing   lists  with  no
consideration for whether  or not the material is appropriate  for the lists it
is being  sent to. A single  "spam" can result  in the delivery of  millions of
unwanted e-mail messages worldwide, costing the victims and service providers a
total of several  hundred thousand dollars. The cost to  the spammer is usually
under five dollars. To be effective, a counter-measure must neutralize the spam
within  the first  five minutes.  Consequently, there  is no  time for  all the
LISTSERV  servers to  compare notes  with each  other before  acting, and  some
legitimate postings may be intercepted erroneously. If this is the case, simply
forward this message back to the list with an explanatory note.

----------------- Message requiring verification (38 lines) -------------------