Keith Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:31:26 -0400
We are having a problem with a developer's DISTRIBUTE job on Windows
ListServ. He's creating it via Java.Mail and for some reason the top lines
in the job are having their line endings altered.

Example;

//URACCTIDRT JOB REPLY-TO="[log in to unmask]", ECHO=YES // DISTRIBUTE
MAIL-MERGE [log in to unmask] PW = xxxxx //TO
DD * *XDFN [log in to unmask] PROBE
/*
//DATA DD *,EOF
From: Web site <[log in to unmask]>
Date: &*DATE;

Make note of the normal wrapping starting at the /*, even though they used
the same line endings throughout.

What's even odder is what ListServ does with it. ListServ accepts it, says
it processes it and sent a response to [log in to unmask], but it simply
create a .mail file in the ListServ Spool. The SMTP work then generate error
messages one a minute ([10060]) until ListServ is stopped, the .mail files
removed from the queue, then restarted. You can't move the .mail files with
ListServ up because it complains the files are in use.

I can see the problems with the formatting being an issue, but ListServ's
handling also seems odd because it apparently parses out the email address
from the XDFN correctly (based on the log file).

Keith Stone
Winston Salem, NC