"Stephen C. Nill" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:34:58 -0800
Yes, this is for the list maintainer role.  Just what I needed --
thanks Nathan.

I see that if I want to change a user's password, assuming one
already exists, by simply sending a DEL command and an ADD command in
the same email command message, like this:

PWC DEL userid@host pw=XXXXXX
PWC ADD userid@host newpassword pw=XXXXXX

Since I'm going to build this into a form, I also see that I can use
the same two commands in the email for the case where the user has no
prior password. It appears that LISTSERV gracefully parses the
commands in order. On DEL, it simply reports back that there is no
password. On ADD, it adds the password. This is convenient in
creating the form, since I merely hard-code in the two commands, and
drop in the password via a variable.

Steve

At 01:09 PM 1/28/2007, you wrote:
>At 09:32 AM 1/28/2007 -0800, Stephen C. Nill wrote:
> >However, I'm not seeing how, if at all, the list maintainer can
> issue an email command to change a user's password. Is it possible?
> If so, what is the syntax?
>
>Are you talking about the list owner or the site manager?
>
>List owners as such cannot manage other users' passwords.
>
>A site manager (postmaster) can do this with the PWC ADD and PWC DEL
>commands (there is no PWC CHANGE command).  Documented in 6.3 of the
>site manager's manual, and near the end of the refcard as well, but
>
>PWC DEL userid@host
>PWC ADD userid@host newpassword
>
>You can prepend QUIET to PWC if you don't want a notification sent
>to the user.
>
>Nathan

Stephen C. Nill
Founder & Chief Executive Officer