Chris Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Oct 1994 15:52:08 CDT
I have a question that may or may not really belong on this list.
The Listserv on our VM machine has grown to the point where it can
quite easily bog the entire machine down (in truth, it's not really
Listserv that is doing it, anything generating the same volume of
tcp/ip traffic would do it too).

What we'ld like to do is put up a second Listserv on another machine
(proabably a large unix box) and split the load between the 2 but not
confuse the user's too much by have 2 different addresses.

We'ld probably move the lists that generate primarily outbound (ie.  not
at our site) mail to the unix box.  But we don't want to confuse our
users (and God knows, it doesn't take that much to confuse them).  We'ld
like to set up a mail alias ([log in to unmask] - that would be easy
enough since we're running the CSO Nameserver/ph package already) that
would send any commands to one of the Listservs so people only have to
know about 1 address here.

(here's the tricky part)

If the list doesn't exist on that machine, we want the command forwarded
to the other Listserv, and only if an error occurs then, do we send out
the error message.

My questions:

1)  is what we want do-able?  In the future maybe?
2)  would we have to pay for the second Listserv?  Full price?
    What would it cost?

Note:  even if the Listserv's can't 'share' and address, we still
  would probably want to do this.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Barnes                                 (409) 846-3273 (home)
[log in to unmask]                      (409) 845-8300 (work)

"Love is not an emotion; love is a comittment"  -  Gary Libby