Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:42:17 -0400
On 7/25/2006 10:10, Becker, Jim wrote:
> Didn't find an adequate thread in the Archives for this...
>
> For "Rejected posting..." messages generated when Spam arrives to a
> private list from a non-subscriber which go back to a spoofed From
> address, what is the concensus on how to control this issue?  Is there a
> way in Listserv to suppress these responses?  Is that advised?
>
> We believe we ended up on SpamCop's list when a spoofed sender
> complained about receiving a rejected posting reply which still
> contained the original spam sent to our listserv.  SpamCop's contention
> is we should ignore the RFC and NOT respond to these invalid postings.
> I'm rejecting that as improper, so I'm looking for input on
> methodologies of other sites.

Unfortunately, there is no ideal solution to this problem. Technology cannot,
with 100% certainty, differentiate spam from non-spam, or identify forged
messages. Consequently, as a list owner you must choose between not sending
rejection messages in situations where they might be helpful (a subscriber
sent a message to a private list from a non-subscribed address) and sending
rejection messages that might get your list blacklisted.

Rock|list|hard place

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team