Turgut s Temporary Address until June 2nd <TURGUT@GREARN>
Fri, 2 Jun 89 11:30:01 HMT
Greetings. Sorry to be away on the EARN conference, so things got
delayed a bit. Here is a 'batch' reply for the recent questions:

>  How can I 'put' a file onto LISTSERV disk and add a file entry in
>the file whose filetype is FILELIST? As I knew, the PUT command is
>used to put a LIST onto LISTSERV disk and PUTC to put a file onto
>LISTSERV disk but it don't add any index to any FILELIST file.

The adddition to the LISTSERV FILELIST, or any <fn> FILELIST must be done
by you. First obtain a copy of the FILELIST you wish to add files to,
add a line that is similar to one of the file descriptions, modify the
filename filetype, access codes (optional), and finally the description
that is at the end of the line. Then store this file back. It is easiest
to use LSVPUT EXEC to do the file storage. You can obtain this program
via INFO PUT command. Oh, don't bother with the filesize, date, format -
LISTSERV takes care of these itself.

>Subject:      Changes from release 1.5o to 1.6a
thank you for the notification - an EARN site.

>I created a dummy userid id, LISTB.  Using a postmaster's id, I
>also created a file, LISTB LIST, with header information for the
>list.  I used LSVPUT, was prompted for a password, and replied
>with LISTSERV's CREATEPW.  The LASTING GLOBALV file was generated
>and had information concerning this.  I then used LSVPUT a second
>time, was prompted for a password, and replied with the password
>for the list.  LASTING GLOBALV had information for this.  I then
>tried to SUBSCRIBE to LISTB and got the following messages:

I suspect that you have not used the (CR option of LSVPUT when storing
your LISTB LIST file.. LISTSERV needs this info for some reason to
realize that you are creating a new list. Also, store the list from the
LISTSERV's postmaster account..

>It turns out that only 450 or so were valid of the 3400.  All duplicates
>occurred in the May 24-25 time period (dates taken from the Date: field).
>I first thought that perhaps the PSU INTERBIT problem caused it, but I also

Did the looped messages have a 'Subject:' heading? if so, what did the
subject read? (Because LISTSERV suppose to detect such loops by looking
at the subject heading)

Note: The above net address is temporary. Please use TURGUT@TREARN to reply
back (or to the list)  .. Regards,  -turgut