"S. PETE HOYLE" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Jan 1996 09:46:41 EST5EDT
A recent note asked:

> Is there a universal way to 'unsubscribe' to ALL mailing lists at once --
> 'Listserv' and otherwise?

I've certainly heard of none. The closest is the command:

**      signoff * (netwide         **

but so far as I am aware, it works only when sent to a backbone
LISTSERV, and I don't think it forwards the request to any other
types of list management software. In fact, I don't believe most
list management software (other than LISTSERV and possibly Listproc)
even "knows" about other servers of the same variety.

I would be interested to hear if I am wrong today.

I would also be interested to hear if there is any current
cooperation among developers of list management software to make
options like netwide signoff and list global /xxx work on a wider
scale than a single product become possible in the moderate future,
say 1-2 years. Is there any standards or RFC activity in this
direction?

--
  Pete Hoyle - William & Mary Technology Services Computing Support
  [log in to unmask] - (804) 221-4357   (221-HELP)