Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 Oct 2006 15:36:27 -0400
At 07:28 PM 9/29/2006 -24000, Nathan Brindle wrote:
>At 03:15 PM 10/9/2006 -0400, Charles Drawdy wrote:
>>I do have a value in the smtp_forward_1= mael.gallaudet.edu which
>>is the same as the smtp_forward.
>>
>>from my site.cfg file:
>>SMTP_FORWARD=MAEL.GALLAUDET.EDU
>>SMTP_FORWARD_1=MAEL.GALLAUDET.EDU

OK, so I assume you are running LISTSERV on Windows and feeding a
sendmail server running on MAEL.GALLAUDET.EDU.

You may need to add a couple more workers, because at the moment you
have only one worker feeding the outbound servers.  That means you're
only going to open one connection and feed only one mail file at a time.

I would suggest trying

SMTP_FORWARD_1=4*MAEL.GALLAUDET.EDU

(this will require a restart of LISTSERV) and see if that helps -- it
creates 4 "worker" processes and it ought more or less quadruple your
current throughput.

You can tweak the number of workers up or down but it should be noted
that more workers require more machine resources (e.g., memory, CPU
cycles), so it is entirely possible to reach a point of diminishing returns.

If you could provide more information about the workload (lots of
small messages?  A few large messages?  Lots of large messages?) that
might help us understand the situation better.  Right now I'm just guessing.

Nathan