Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:11:08 -0500
>On Listserv 1.8d, is there a way that the Listserv administrator can set a
>Listserv password for a particular address? I am thinking of something
>along the lines of:
>
>pw add xxxx for address
>
>which I cannot seem to get to work. The address in question is an alias so
>its not possible to actually originate this request from the address. The
>attempts I have made at spoofing the address don't seem to work either.

Depending on how your site is set up this may not work.  Here's one way to
forge mail in a handy-dandy way, however.

Telnet to port 25 of your mailer.  You may have to hit return a couple of
times.

Then enter into the following dialogue with your mail server.  I will
precede things the mailer says with "<<<" and things you should type with
">>>", but you should not type those symbols.

<<< 220 fox.earthweb.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.1/8.9.1; Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:06:08
<<<     -0500 (EST)

<<< 500 Command unrecognized: ""
<<< MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
>>> 250 <[log in to unmask]>... Sender ok
<<< RCPT TO:<[log in to unmask]>
>>> 250 <[log in to unmask]>... Recipient ok
<<< DATA
>>> 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
<<< SET PASSWD whatever
<<< .
>>> 250 SAA18084 Message accepted for delivery
<<< quit
>>> 221 fox.earthweb.com closing connection

Of course, for [log in to unmask] you should put the email address of
your alias, and for [log in to unmask] you should put the email
address of the LISTSERV installation you want to interact with.  Also, I
may have gotten the password command wrong.

Depending on the email client you are using, you may be able to alter your
return address there to get the same effect.  In Eudora Pro v.3 and later
there's a feature called 'personalities' that is useful for this type of
thing.

Read RFC822 for more on this type of thing.

-jwgh