Andrew H Derbyshire <$AHD@CLVM>
Fri, 06 Feb 87 14:46:16 EST

>Ah, but Valdis, think of all of us UNIX hacks that can't connect
>to everybody, and therefore use @machine-who-can-connect: as a
>transport to the 'fully RFC822, full-domain world'... 8-)
>
>Anyway, I think that the @host:user%node is very easy to parse, all
>you have to do is look at the first thing after the @ sign and go from
>there..
>
>-abc

Arrrrrggghhhhh!

Mixing protocols is almost always a bad idea.  Take, for example:

Now, should the trusty mailer on our local unix box (sandbox.UUCP) ship
it via UUCP to Gould to ship to ARPA net or should it start at the other
end and find Wisc.EDU indirectly via its entry for routing to the
Clarkson.EDU LAN?  For all I know, it will flip a coin and choose.

Communications of the ACM for October 1986 has a story on notable
computer networks; none but UUCP use source routing, and even that is
headed for domain based processing.  Meanwhile, most smart BSD mailer
use UUROUTE to make it *appear* you can directly connect to there from
here; this is clearly prefered for ease of use.

Drew