"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Sep 90 08:09:42 SET
On Mon, 3 Sep 90 20:27:18 O Eric Thomas said:
>I  am
>seriously considering the concept of a  "hate list" for gateways.
>It (the mail)  could be discarded and forgotten about,  or transferred to the
>postmaster without  being replied to,  or result  in a nastygram  back saying
>that we are  very sorry but your  gateway is causing us problems  so you will
>not be able to send commands until you get the gatemaster to fix his code.
>
>Does this sound like the right solution to the problem?

Sounds  good ...  and there  a  number of  candidates like  PMDF Mail  Servers
telling the  world that the  mail has been enqueued  for nyahnyah days  and oh
well we'll try to deliver another blahblah days and yes that's the nth message
of  this kind  you receive  and  you will  get  another notice  when the  mail
eventually  is discarded  so stay  tuned  and good  luck .....  Or some  other
gateway telling  (or trying to  tell since it's  already served out)  the list
about MTA congestion for  every posting in the last three  month ..... or some
entity in the X.400 world sending rejection notices without header and without
body and without any copy of the original headers .....
Haven't seen the last one recently so maybe someone got a gun and shot it.

As for the possible actions:
 a) to black hole it is always good (but save one for April 1st)
 b) as postmaster I don't want to see this junk at all
 c) nastygramming  would be  nice but  then where do  you send  the nastygram?
    Obviously you can't  tell the affected users that they  don't receive mail
    because the gateway  is broken (I had cases when  there was a domain-style
    mail rejected  and I  had an NJE  address but whenever  you tried  to send
    something there it was converted to domain-style and then got rejected).

Christian