Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 17:26:57 +0100
On    Tue,     21    Feb    1995    10:58:17     EST    Maynard    Calkin
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>First,  we have  several  nested  lists. LISTSERV  is  now generating  a
>explosive jump in the length of mail headers.

LISTSERV has always generated a  Received: and Return-Path: line. However
they are only present in FULL and  IETF headers, not in SHORT headers. To
facilitate the transition from BITNET  to Internet and appease the highly
vocal MIME  users, LISTSERV  now uses  FULL headers  by default.  You can
update  the  sub-list's  subscriptions  to short  headers  to  shunt  the
verbiage.

>Second, LISTSERV has taken it upon itself to determine what constitues a
>"SPAM" and disables the offending userid for 48 hours.

Yes, and that is a feature that  was badly needed! Your problem is caused
by  the nested  lists  which introduce  a lot  of  artificial repeats.  I
suppose  the best  solution is  to simply  disable spam  control for  the
sub-lists: if a real spam hits, it  will be halted by the master list. To
do this you would add:

* Loopcheck= NoSpam

to their list headers. Many large  sites have been running 1.8b and yours
is  the first  "false  positive". I  would not  have  released this  code
outside the smaller beta  group if I were not confident  that it works in
the vast  majority of cases. But,  indeed, with a large  amount of nested
lists I  can see how  it would  quickly add up.  Just like the  filter to
prevent  commands from  being  sent  to the  list  and  the mailing  loop
detector,  this  algorithm  is  bound  to  sometimes  prevent  legitimate
messages from  being sent.  The perfect  computer is yet  to be  born :-)
Anyway, I'll make sure to mention that in the release notes.

  Eric