Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 5 May 2000 14:34:37 +0200
NT does not intrinsically require a reboot every 4 days. I have seen NT
machines with this problem, but usually it was because, for instance, they
had the latest 3D shoot-and-blast video card whose drivers the manufacturer
was *honestly* planning to test before shipping ;-) It is very annoying but it
is the price to pay for the price/performance ratio of PC desktops. I would
not recommend running a large workload on a desktop PC that comes with
the latest version of every single accessory. Ironically the graphics card is
often the main source of crashes.

Anyway, L-Soft runs the world's largest mailing list operation, with over
21M subscriptions and around 20% of the world's LISTSERV traffic. We
run LISTSERV on NT systems (both Intel and Alpha, regretfully we are
now forced to phase out the Alphas), with LSMTP on separate VMS or Tru64
machines (except for the entry-level services where we run everything
on one Intel box to press costs down). Our main complaint with NT is that
you have to reboot to change IP addresses and the like, but this is no longer
the case with Windows 2000 (we are starting to migrate to Windows 2000).
I am not too happy with the reliability of the NT service packs that support Y2K
(and that we were thus forced to apply), especially for Alpha, but I have been told
that this is because the top people in the NT team are concentrating on
Windows 2000 to avoid a repeat of the NT4 launch where they had to release
SP1 immediately because the system basically did not work as shipped.
Customers who have already migrated to Windows 2000 are telling us that
reliability has improved, hopefully this will be the case for us as well.

  Eric